You arrive at your destination, disembark the plane & make your way to the luggage area. You wait patiently as the bags start to make the trip around the carousel. With each bag that passes by, you don’t see your precious cargo. That feeling of dread begins to seep in as the crowd thins out and your still waiting for your bags to show up. Here are our top tips to give you an advantage and better odds to prevent losing your luggage.
Tips To Help Prevent Losing Your Luggage
- Luggage tags can go missing – attach more than one to your bag(s) and you can also tape a large address size label to the outside of your bag with your name & phone number using clear packing tape. Tape over the label and around the bag completely.
- Pack a copy of your complete travel itinerary including flight information and where you will be staying in your checked luggage. This information will make it easier for the airlines to forward it to you.
- Arrive at the airport early! It takes time for the airlines to load the bags and you don’t want yours to be left behind.
- Avoid short layovers. Bags can be left behind if the luggage handlers don’t have enough time to get them on your connecting flight(s).
- Make your bag stand out – use ribbon, colorful duct tape or an off the wall patterned or colored bag to prevent someone else from grabbing your suitcase. The most common luggage colors are navy, silver, grey, red and dark green.
- Take a picture of your bag(s) on your cell phone. It will help you if you have to file a lost luggage claim to show the airline staff exactly what your luggage looks like; this is extremely helpful if your bags are a common color.
Hope you found these tips to prevent losing your luggage helpful. Travel well, travel wisely, and let your feet take you where your heart is.